Zion Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Westgate, Almondbury
- also known as: Zion Methodist Church (1960 map), Zion United Methodist Free Church
- location: Westgate, Almondbury
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
Established c.1850 by Wesleyan Reformers who made use of the former National Schoolrooms on Westgate.
In 1906 or 1907, choirmaster Arthur Swift instituted the Whit Sunday Sing in Mollicar Wood and this annual event still takes place. According to some sources, Swift had suggested that the choir might prefer to meet outdoors to practise their Whitsuntide hymns, but they soon attracted a small crowed of appreciative ramblers and the suggestion was made that they should repeat it again the following year. The choice of location and the early start may have been influenced by the fact that nightingales were reported to have sung in the woods at dawn and dusk during the month of May. By the 1930s, the early morning Whit Sunday Sing was attracting several thousand people.
The church closed in 1960 and the congregation amalgamated with St. John's Methodist Church.
Notes and References
- West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.
- The exact year seems uncertain, with some sources claiming 1900 or 1903. However, newspaper reports from the 1920s and 1930s indicate it was 1906 or 1907.
- "Nightingale near Huddersfield" in Zoologist (June 1875).
- "A Yorkshire Sing" in Leeds Mercury (15/May/1937).