Yorkshire Post (25/May/1922) - Tolson Memorial Museum at Huddersfield: Opening Ceremony

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors. If the article was published prior to 1 June 1957, then the text is likely in the Public Domain.

TOLSON MEMORIAL MUSEUM AT HUDDERSFIELD.

OPENING CEREMONY.

The Tolson Memorial Museum was opened at Ravensknowle, Huddersfield, on Saturday afternoon in the presence of a large gathering. Ravensknowle was formerly the residence of Mr. Legh Tolson, who has made a gift of the house and estate to the Huddersfield Corporation as a memorial to his two nephews — Second Lieutenants R. H. Tolson and J. M. Tolson, who were killed in the war. In the grounds of Ravensknowle are the first public tennis courts to be opened in Huddersfield, and the first public bowling greens. The object of the museum is to illustrate the natural and human history of Huddersfield and the surrounding districts. The rooms are arranged to illustrate first the natural physical features, and, second, the animal and plant life, leading up to local history of man and his development. Dr. T. W. Woodhead, of Huddersfield Technical College, has had charge of the arranging of the museum.

The opening ceremony on Saturday was performed by Mr. Legh Tolson, and the Mayor (Ald. Wilfrid Dawson) presided.