Yorkshire Evening Post (14/Aug/1924) - Whitley Beaumont to be Razed

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors. If the article was published prior to 1 June 1957, then the text is likely in the Public Domain.



Whitley Beaumont, one of the "stately homes of England," some two miles east of Kirkheaton, Huddersfield, is to be razed to the ground. It is the seat of the family of Beaumont, whose history goes back to the days of the Norman Conquest.

Very soon now workmen will invade the ancient house and proceed with the demolition. A few days or weeks will suffice to destroy what it took generations of the Beaumonts to build.

The oldest part of the house dates from about 1560, when a residence of the type of the period, with two wings, was erected by Sir Richard Beaumont (the name had been modernised from its original form, Bellmonte, about a century earlier).

The house was greatly enlarged in 1704 by another Richard Beaumont, who added a magnificent front to the north, forming the house into a complete quadrangle.

Whitley Beaumont is dismantled now, the oak panelling and carving gone, but some Adams decoration remains, notably the ceiling in the great dining hall, with its cupids and bacchanal grapes and centre-piece of a sheaf of wheat, two sickles and a rake.

The decision to demolish the house has been arrived at, not with diffidence, on account of the rich seams of coal which underlie it, which it is desired to develop. Beaumont Whitley has been occupied by caretakers for the past twenty years, the owner, the late Mr. Henry Frederick Beaumont, having vacated it on account of the heavy financial burden in volved by the upkeep of the estate.