Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association
The Huddersfield Archaeological & Topographical Association was formed in the spring of 1863 with the aim of promoting "interest in the history and archaeology of the Huddersfield area". The founding members were John Nowell of Farnley Tyas, Rev. Thomas James of Netherthong, and Henry James Morehouse of Stoney Bank. The group reportedly initially met at Rev. James' vicarage in Netherthong.
The first public meeting was held on 8 July 1864 at the Philosophical Hall on Ramsden Street in Huddersfield.
The association soon expanded to cover the whole of the county of Yorkshire and was renamed the Yorkshire Archaeological & Topographical Association following a General Meeting held at Pontefract on 31 August 1869.
Their publications include a journal (from 1869), the "Record Series" (from 1884) and the "Wakefield Court Rolls Series".
As of 2015, it is known as the Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society.
- The Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association, Founded in 1864
- Articles about the Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association