Working Men's Club, St. John's Avenue, Newsome

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1905 [#76]
  • location: St. John's Avenue, Newsome
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: club

Built circa 1900 as a dedicated building for Newsome Working Men's Club with a bowling green at the rear.

The club also owned land opposite which was divided into allotment plots for members.[1]

The premises closed in January 2014 and was temporarily reopened as the Newsome Tap.

Location

Notes and References

  1. "Newsome" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Dec/1891). The land was sold off prior to the 1960s for housing.