Working Men's Club, Blue Bell Hill, Taylor Hill
- appears on maps: 1905 [#65]
- location: off Close Hill (now Blue Bell Hill), Blue Bell Hill
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: club
The Taylor Hill Working Men's Club was inaugurated in September 1866 and initially used rooms in the Lockwood National School. In 1871, the club took over the existing property on Taylor Hill, a "portion of which was fitted up for the use of the [Lockwood Church] choir, and the remainder for the Working Men's Club, as reading, smoking, and bagatelle rooms, with a large piece of ground adjoining, for quoits, brasses, and other outdoor amusements". The new premises was formally opened with a tea party held on Saturday 21 October 1871.
The club was closed in 1985, due to financial difficulties, and the building became The Blue Bell Inn. It was later reopened as a Working Men's Club circa 2010 but this soon closed and the property was converted into residential use.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1290427
CLOSE HILL LANE (South Side). Taylor Hill. Taylor Hill Working Men's Club. Mid C19. Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and blocking course. Pitched stone slate roof with coped gables. Two storeys. Eaves cornice and blocking course, with painted wreaths in relief at ends and centre. Three ranges of sashes with glazing bars in moulded surrounds, those on ground floor with cornices and blocking course, over. Door with two moulded panels and oblong fanlight, flanked by Tuscan pilasters taking full entablature and blocking course.