Holmfirth Parish Church was situated just within the northwestern boundary of the township.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Wooldale is a populous township and ancient village, in the same parish as Thurstonland, not far from that township, and about 6 miles south from Huddersfield. The society of friends have a meeting house here ; and a school was erected about seventy years ago (by means of a legacy and subscriptions), on part of the Waste given by the Duke of Leeds. Population, according the the census taken in June, 1841, 4,800.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
WOOLDALE, a township, in the parish of KirkBurton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (S.) from Huddersfield; containing 4806 inhabitants. It was anciently called Wolves-dale, from its abounding with wolves. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on extensively. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, and Unitarians.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
WOOLDALE, a township, with a village, in Kirk-Burton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; ¾ mile NE of Holmfirth. It includes part of Holmfirth town, the hamlets of Totties and Lydgate, and part of Scholes. Acres, 2,370. Real property, £10,281. Pop. in 1851, 5,600; in 1861, 5,322. Houses, 1,079. The manor belongs to S.W.L. Fox, Esq. There are woollen manufactories, fulling mills, two dissenting chapels, and two public schools.
The extent of the township of Wooldale (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.