Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The second house on the right, after the bridge, was once part of Farnley's manorial corn mill. Woodsome Mill was, together with the farm standing on the eminence opposite, in the tenancy of the Redfearn family for some three hundred years until comparatively recent times. The first reference to a mill on this site is found in 1297 and. although in its early days the mill worked fulling stocks, its primary purpose was to grind corn which it continued to do for some seven hundred years. Water for the mill wheel, which was twenty feet in diameter, was brought along a goit from the head of a weir built two hundred yards (182 metres) upstream on the Fenay Beck. The water was channelled diagonally under the road and to keep the channel free of obstructions the miller employed men to crawl through and clear it. The used water was thrown off into a tail race which flowed underground to emerge 350 yards (319 metres) beyond the mill and rejoin the stream at a lower level. In the mill, the top floor was used for rolling oats and the first floor for drying corn; hoisting equipment reached from top to bottom of the building. The mill machinery including the wheel and all the cogging and hoisting equipment was removed in 1966. Subsequently the building was used as a barn until the late 1980s when it was sympathetically renovated and extended to make a very pleasant dwelling house. Although the alterations somewhat obscured the lines of the old mill, they did not obliterate them and by looking over the road-side wall to the back of the building, the typical three-storied com mill with its arched wagon-entrance may be easily recognised.