Willie Sykes (c.1883-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SYKES, WILLIE. Private. No 32194. 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Born Linthwaite. Son of Mrs Sykes, 38 New Street, Upper Clough, Linthwaite. Employed as a weaver at Bank Bottom Mills, Marsden. Was a member of the Hoyle Ing Working Men's Club. Enlisted 16.5.1916. Had been in France for two months when he was reported missing, presumed killed, during the Battle of the Somme on 26.10.1916, aged 33 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Linthwaite War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIE SYKES
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Thursday, October 26, 1916
- record ID: 814553
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #814553)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4342719)