Willie Sutcliffe (1887-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SUTCLIFFE, WILLIE. Private. No 29536. 14th Battalion Highland Light Infantry. Formerly No 25744 The Yorkshire Regiment. Born 11.3.1887. Educated Mirfield Parish Church Schools. Was one of the principal alto singers in the Huddersfield Parish Church choir. Employed as a labourer in engineering. Married. Lived 21a, Lower Quarry Road, Bradley. Enlisted 18.12.1915. Killed in action, 29.9.1916. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Huddersfield Parish Church; St. Thomas's Church, Bradley.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIAM SUTCLIFFE
- regiment: Highland Light Infantry
- died: Friday, September 29, 1916
- record ID: 1671640
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1671640)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4322732)