Willie Newsome (c.1895-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- NEWSOME, WILLIE. Rifleman. No C/7671. 18th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps. Born Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury. Third son of George and Annie Newsome, 7 Lower Fold, Honley. Employed at Messrs Wrigley's Mill at Netherton. Attended Honley Wesleyan School. Was a member of the Honley Conservative Club. Enlisted with his brother in November, 1915. Died from gunshot wounds to the head at No 36 Casualty Clearing Station on 16.9.1916, aged 21 years. Buried HEILLY STATION CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 4, Row D, Grave 52.
- ROH:- Honley War Memorial.
- Brother of Private FRED NEWSOME killed in action, 12.10.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Rifleman WILLIE NEWSOME
- regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps
- died: Saturday, September 16, 1916
- age: 21 years
- record ID: 272025
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #272025)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3229921)