Willie Earnshaw (1893-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- EARNSHAW, WILLIE. Private. No 240891. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Son of Mr and Mrs John Willie Earnshaw, Cinderhills, Holmfirth. Educated at Mr J. D. Brown's school and was connected with the Parish Church Sunday School. Employed as a weaver by Messrs H. and S. Butterworth, Lower Mills, Holmfirth. He was a keen football player and he played for both the Holmbridge and Underbank teams. Enlisted January 1915. Embarked for France the following January. Killed in action, 27.3.1918. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIE EARNSHAW
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, March 27, 1918
- record ID: 1541022
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1541022)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2418217)