Willie Cooper (1862-1920)
Willie Cooper was a local architect.
He was born on 12 November 1862 in Huddersfield, the son of cotton spinner and innkeeper James Cooper (of the Exchange Hotel) and his wife Elizabeth, and was baptised on Christmas Day 1862 at Huddersfield Parish Church.
He married Amy Louisa Shaw of Marsh, daughter of merchant George Shaw and his wife Emma, on 21 April 1890 at Holy Trinity Church, Highfields. The couple initially lived at 36 Honoria Street, Hillhouse, before moving to 44 New Hey Road, Lindley. They did not have any children.
He served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment during the early stages of the First World War before being "appointed a director of Admiralty shipyard labour in the North-Westtern District".
Willie Cooper, of 4 Kirkgate Buildings, died aged 58 on 18 December 1920 at Huddersfield Surgical Home, Bradley Lane, and was buried at Edgerton Cemetery on 22 December. His estate was valued at £13,309 2s. 3d.
- Sunday schools for Moldgreen Congregational Church (1890)
- Huddersfield Parish Church Parochial Hall (1893)
- Drill Hall, St. Paul's Street, Huddersfield (1899-1900)
- restoration of Christ Church, Woodhouse Hill (1900)
- conversion of Riding School, Ramsden Street, Huddersfield, into the Hippodrome Theatre (opened 1905)
- St. Paul's School, St. Paul's Street, Huddersfield (1906-07)
- Kirkgate Inn, Kirkgate, Huddersfield (1909-11)
- Lindley Moor Crippled Children's Holiday Home (opened 1915)
Notes and References
- His baptismal record records the name as "Willey Cooper".
- Chris Marden's list of Huddersfield Architects.
- Born 26 April 1863 and baptised 30 April 1864 at St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield.
- "Military Appointment" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (15/Nov/1915) and "Territorial Officer Dead" in Leeds Mercury (20/Dec/1920).