Willie Battye (c.1885-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BATTYE, WILLIE. Gunner. No 32463. 168th (Holme Valley) Battery Royal Field Artillery. Son of Joseph and Sarah A. Battye of Totties, Thongsbridge; husband of Lizzie Battye of Totties, Thongsbridge. Killed by a piece of shrapnel, 29.6.1916, aged 30. Buried in BOUZINCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row C, Grave 19.
- ROH:- Wooldale War Memorial.
- His widow received the following letter from Sergeant Champion of the same battery, 'As fellow comrades of your dear husband we write to extend our deepest sympathy to you in the loss of such a dear friend. He has now gone but never will his kind actions and deeds be forgotten. He was held in the highest esteem by all, but with the lads of his own section he was like a brother. Always so calm and steadfast in his duties, always willing to extend a helping hand. He was truly a friend to everyone in his battery and his loss is one that will be hard to replace. He worked like a man among men and as such no man was ever more respected. It may be comforting to you our dear friend to know that he passed away with very little pain. He died a brave soldier and to the last possessed a calmness which was always characteristic of him. We wish to extend to you and yours our deepest and sincerest sympathy and hope that you will find a comfort in knowing that he died a noble death whilst doing his duty bravely.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Gunner WILLIE BATTYE
- regiment: Royal Field Artillery
- died: Thursday, June 29, 1916
- age: 33 years
- record ID: 202458