Willie Armitage (1894-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ARMITAGE, WILLIE. Acting Bombardier. No 120363. 58th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Born 10.1.1894. Son of Mr and Mrs Herbert Armitage, Grange Terrace, Marsden. Employed at the Globe Worsted Company, Slaithwaite. Deputy organist at the Marsden Wesleyan Chapel and accompanist in the Sunday School. Was a member of the Marsden Adult School Institute. Enlisted 1.11.1915. Embarked for France 4.11.16. Suffered severe shell wounds to the abdomen on 10.1.17 (his birthday) and was taken to No 4 Casualty Clearing Station. Two letters were sent to his parents at Marsden from the Sister in charge advising them of his critical condition and he died on 12.1.1917, aged 23. Buried in VARENNES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row F, Grave 42.
- ROH:- Marsden War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Acting Bombardier WILLIE ARMITAGE
- regiment: Royal Field Artillery
- died: Friday, January 12, 1917
- age: 23 years
- record ID: 72615