William Percy Shaw (c.1893-1919)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SHAW, WILLIAM PERCY. Private. No 40852. 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Son of Robert Beeley Shaw and Mary Elizabeth Shaw of Low Gate, Kirkburton. Employed by Messrs John Kaye and Son, Colne Road, Huddersfield. Enlisted in 1915. Was taken prisoner by the Germans in 1917. Died on board SS Guildford Castle whilst returning home to Netley hospital on 8.1.1919, after being a Prisoner of War in Germany. He sustained an accident whilst working with a crane over a ship's hold at Emden and was taken to Munster Hospital. He was 25 years of age. Buried ALL HALLOWS CHURCHYARD, KIRKBURTON. Grave location:- 11, 776.
Brother of Private ROGER RYAN SHAW died of wounds, 20.9.1918.
- ROH:- All Hallows Parish Church, Kirkburton.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIAM PERCY SHAW
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Wednesday, January 8, 1919
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 2752203
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #2752203)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3990873)