William Munro (c.1890-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MUNRO, WILLIAM. Private. No 11596. 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland. Son of Daniel Munro, Steps Cottage, Magdale, Honley. Employed in the warehouse of Messrs Josiah France Limited. Enlisted with his brother in September, 1914. Embarked for France in August, 1915. Reported missing, 30.7.1916 and afterwards presumed to have been killed on that date. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Honley War Memorial.
- Brother of Private ARCHIE MUNRO killed in action, 12.10.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIAM MUNRO
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, July 30, 1916
- record ID: 1546563
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1546563)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3172282)