William Matthewman Brook (1893-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BROOK, WILLIAM MATTHEWMAN. Corporal. No 66037. 321st Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Born 12 Hey Lane, Lowerhouses, Huddersfield 24.8.1893. Son of the late Matthewman and Mrs Brook, Hey Farm, Lowerhouses. Educated at Lowerhouses and Deighton Schools and Huddersfield Higher Grade School. Employed by the Huddersfield Industrial Society at the Rashcliffe branch as a grocer's assistant. Single. Enlisted 7.11.1915. Killed in action near Poperinghe, Belgium, 24.7.1917, aged 22 years. Buried in VLAMERTINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 3, Row H, Grave 17.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Corporal BROOK
- regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
- died: Tuesday, July 24, 1917
- record ID: 141973
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #141973)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #517914)