An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BARDSLEY, WILLIAM MATTHEW. Lance Corporal. No 10679. 23rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Born Glasgow, 3.12.1884. Son of Joshua and Emma Bardsley. Educated at Rossall Public School. Lived at Cowlersley House, Milnsbridge. Married. Worked as an analytical chemist. Enlisted April 1916. Reported missing in action at Beaumont Hamel, 13.11.1916, aged 31. Buried in SERRE ROAD CEMETERY NO 2. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row C, Grave 29.
- ROH:- St. Barnabas Church, Crosland Moor; Milnsbridge War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lance Corporal WILLIAM MATTHEW BARDSLEY
- regiment: Royal Fusiliers
- died: Monday, November 13, 1916
- age: 31 years
- record ID: 608090