William Henry Thwaites (1870-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- THWAITES, WILLIAM HENRY. Chief Petty Officer. No 138012. Royal Navy. HMS Hampshire. Born Moldgreen 25.12.1870. Brother of John Thwaites, 23 Airedale Crescent, Otley Road, Bradford. Enlisted in the Navy in 1888. Killed by mine explosion off the Orkneys when HMS Hampshire was sunk on 5.6.1916. He was 44 years of age. Has no known grave. Commemorated PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Chief Petty Officer WILLIAM HENRY THWAITES
- regiment: Royal Navy
- died: Monday, June 5, 1916
- age: 44 years
- record ID: 3038814
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #3038814)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #7693824)