William Henry Smith (c.1878-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SMITH, WILLIAM HENRY. Private. No 268347. 2/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Bradford. Married, with one child. Lived 5 Wellhouse Fields, Golcar. Employed as a weaver by Messrs John Crowther and Sons, Milnsbridge. Was secretary to the Wellhouse branch of the Sons of Temperance. Enlisted 18.10.1916. Embarked for France in February, 1917. Reported missing, presumed killed, 16.9.1917, aged 39 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. John's Church, Golcar.
- Brother of Private ARTHUR LEWIS SMITH killed in action, 8.12.1915.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILLIAM HENRY SMITH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, September 16, 1917
- record ID: 1653904