William Ambrose (c.1891-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- AMBROSE, WILLIAM. Lance Corporal. No 6224. 2nd Battalion Oxford and Bucks. Light Infantry. Born Caversham, Berkshire. Lived Pond Cottages, Moldgreen. Married, with one child. Employed by the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Department in the track repair section. Enlisted at the beginning of the war. Was reported missing for over one year before his wife received official notice that he had been killed in action at the Battle of Loos, 25.9.1915. (One of four brothers, three of whom were killed and the other was a Prisoner of War in Germany). Commemorated on the LOOS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Christ Church, Moldgreen.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lance Corporal WILLIAM AMBROSE
- regiment: Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
- died: Saturday, September 25, 1915
- record ID: 726559