Wilfred Charlesworth (c.1888-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CHARLESWORTH, WILFRED. Private. No 242836. 1/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Mr and Mrs C. W. Charlesworth, 33 Cinderhills Road, Holmfirth. Attended Holmfirth Parish Church Sunday School and was a member of Holmfirth Conservative Club. Had worked at both at Dover Mills and Rock Mills, Holmfirth. Was a keen football player, playing with the Underbank rugby team, the Hinchliffe Mill Temperance team and the Netherthong association team. Enlisted September 1916. Killed in action, 14.4.1918, aged 29 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the TYNE COT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILFRED CHARLESWORTH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, April 14, 1918
- age: 29 years
- record ID: 1628573
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1628573)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #783034)