Wibsey, Low Moor and Huddersfield Turnpike Road
The Wibsey, Low Moor & Huddersfield Turnpike was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1823. It was also known as the Bradford & Huddersfield Turnpike.
The route required the construction of new bridges at Brighouse, and public notices were placed in the local newspapers in August 1823:
To Masons and Iron-Founders. Persons willing to CONTRACT for the ERECTION of TWO STONE, CAST IRON, or CHAIN BRIDGERS, over the Canal and the River at Brighouse, of One or more Arches, are requested to send Plans and Estimates of the same.
A further notice was placed for the construction of the section from Huddersfield to Brighouse:
TO ROAD-MAKERS. The FORMING, MAKING, STONING, and FENCING, of such Part of the intended New TURNPIKE-ROAD from Wibsey Low Moor, near Bradford to Huddersfield, as lies between the Friends' Meeting House, near Brighouse, and the Hebble Bridge, near Huddersfield.
The first meeting of the trustees was held at the Sun Inn, Bradford, on 28 June 1830.
A Bill "intended to continue the Trust of the Bradford and Huddersfield Turnpike Road for a lengthened period of years" failed in 1870. The Bill had been opposed by Huddersfield Town Council who were keen to have the toll gate at Fartown removed.
The turnpike trust was abolished on 31 October 1875, with responsibility for the upkeep and repairs transferring to the townships through which the road ran. The Yorkshire Post reported that residents from Wyke gathered at midnight at the Storr Hill Bar and celebrated by "throwing the bars open".
The road is now the A641.
Notes and References
- Leeds Mercury (09/Aug/1823).
- Leeds Mercury (23/Aug/1823).
- Leeds Intelligencer (24/Jun/1830).
- "Rejection of the Bradford and Huddersfield Turnpike Road Bill" in Huddersfield Chronicle (26/Feb/1870).
- At the time the decision was made to abolish the trust in 1872, the reported debts were around £12,000.
- Yorkshire Post (02/Nov/1875).