Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Built in 1888 the handsome building on the left hand side of Byram Street served as the town's wholesale fruit and vegetable market until 1979. The use of iron and glass in its construction ensured a maximum amount of space and light. After closure the building was carefully restored and now houses the town's four weekly retail markets.
BYRAM STREET (East Side), Wholesale Market for Fruit and Vegetables. 1887-9. Architect: R. S. Drydale, Borough Surveyor. Ironwork by the Whessoe Foundry Company of Darlington. Cast iron. Walls and north lights of each aisle roof glazed all over. Six aisles, each taken on four giant iron columns with elaborate foliate capitals. Decorative patterns pierced in girders. Hipped roofs on segment-shaped iron trusses with decorative patterns pierced in them. Glass canopies on pierced ornamental brackets with similar valences. Continuous round-arched lights above these, in two tiers, or three as ground slopes away towards the east. Frieze with roundels and heraldic ornament.