Whitley Upper Local Board

Huddersfield Chronicle (22/Nov/1862)

Whitley Upper Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Whitley Upper and was formed on 13 November 1862 with an initial membership of nine persons.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

Whitley Upper Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and superseded by Whitley Upper Urban District Council.

Whitley Upper Local Board

Categories

Local Boards
This page was last modified on 15 January 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed