Whitley Upper (hamlet)
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
The founder of the ancient family of Beaumont here, was a Knight Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem, who received the manor on condition of performing certain military services in the time of Henry III. Whitley Hall has ever since been the principal residence of the family, and is now in the possession of R. H. Beaumont, Esq.
The extent of the hamlet of Whitley Upper (compiled from the 1854 Ordnance Survey map) is shown below in green, with the remainder of the township of Whitley Upper (which was the hamlet of Denby Grange) shaded in red.