Former seat of the Beaumont family, the earliest documented hall was erected by Sir Richard Beaumont in the 17th century. Rebuilt in the Georgian style in the 18th century with gardens landscaped by Capability Brown. By the early 1900s, the property stood empty and internal fittings were auctioned in 1917. Despite the estate being purchased in 1924 by industrialist Charles Sutcliffe, the property continued to deteriorate and became unsafe. Sutcliffe died in 1948 and the buildings were demolished in the early 1950s.
Sutcliffe allowed local scouts to make use of the estate from the late 1920s onwards and they continue to maintain a camp site. During the Second World War, he allowed army training to take place on the estate.