White Lion Yard, Cross Church Street, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1890 [#1042]
  • location on map: off Cross Church Street, behind White Lion Hotel [813], Huddersfield
  • status: still exists
  • category: yard (Old Yards of Huddersfield reference: #60)

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

The White Lion Yard was originally twice its present length and until the site was cleared for the Kingsgate project some of its old buildings survived, albeit in a dilapidated condition. During the nineteenth century there were three business premises in the yard occupied variously, over the years, by a cotton waste dealer, a wheelwright, a brush manufacturer, a paper bag merchant, a basket maker and a joiner. The bottom end of the yard was occupied by stables and cart stores, the headquarters of a number of carriers whose address was White Lion Yard and who delivered to villages at some distance from the town: Kirkburton, Shelley, Skelmanthorpe, Clayton West, Meltham, Hepworth and New Mill. As there was no entrance at the bottom of the yard the carriers would always have used the narrow passageway into Cross Church Street and here a very small part of the past survives, untouched, in the shape of the wheel stones placed to keep the cart wheels away from the walls on either side of the entrance.

Location

White Lion Yard, Cross Church Street, Huddersfield

Categories

Stub entry | Yards | Yards in Huddersfield
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed