White Lion Hotel, Woodhead Road (West), Salford

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: White Lion Inn
  • location: Woodhead Road, Lockwood
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

Although marked on the 1890 map, it was demolished a couple of years later as part of street improvements authorised under the Huddersfield Tramways and Improvement Act of 1890 which related to the extension of the tram line from Lockwood through to Berry Brow.[1] The licence was then transferred to a new premises on the opposite side of the road, which is now known as the Lockwood.


The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

Opened in 1847 the original house was on the opposite side of the road from today's building. Joseph Hepworth was the first of many licensees. The present house was built in 1902, the licence having passed to Bentley & Shaw in 1884. Operated today by Bass this house is still open.

Further Reading


  1. "Extension of Tramway Lines" in Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Jan/1892).