When I Leave the World Behind (Bamforth series 5013)
"When I Leave the World Behind" was a set of three hand-coloured postcards published by Bamforth & Co. Ltd. of Holmfirth.
The text is based on the song "When I Leave the World Behind" written by Irving Berlin.
The postcards were published as series number 5013.
When I Leave the World Behind (1/3)
- I know a millionaire who's burdened down with care,
- A load is on his mind, he's thinking of the day
- When he must pass away, and leave his wealth behind.
- I haven't any gold to leave when I grow old,
- Somehow it passed me by; I'm very poor, but still
- I'll leave a precious will when I must say good-bye.
When I Leave the World Behind (2/3)
- I'll leave the sunshine to the flowers, I'll leave the springtime to the trees,
- And to the old folks I'll leave the mem'ries of a baby upon their knees;
- I'll leave the night-time to the dreams, I'll leave the songbirds to the blind;
- I'll leave the moon above to those in love,
- When I leave the world behind, when I leave the world behind.
When I Leave the World Behind (3/3)
- To ev'ry wrinkled face, I'll leave a fire-place,
- To paint their fav'rite scene within the golden rays—
- Scenes of the childhood days, when they were sweet sixteen.
- I'll leave them each a song to sing the whole day long,
- As toward the end they plod; to ev'ry broken heart
- With sorrow torn apart, I'll leave the love of God.