Please note that this page is no longer being regularly updated. To view all the changes to the site, see the Recent Changes index.
This page lists the recent additions to Huddersfield Exposed...
- 7th — added details for the Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike, the Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike Trust and the ill-fated Dungeon Wood Toll House, Lockwood
- 12th — 1892 Urban District boundaries added for Austonley, Honley, Linthwiate, Meltham, Netherthong, and South Crosland
- 16th — transcribed the Social Services in Huddersfield (1951) booklet and scanned the adverts
- 17th — added details for booksellers Coates and Bairstow of Station Street, Huddersfield, and for founding partner Edwin Walter Coates (1863-1940)
- 19th — finished adding local mill-owner's responses to the Royal Commission on Employment of Children in Factories of 1833
- 20th — added biographical notes for German-born photographer Henry Krüger (c.1851-1942) who moved with his children to America in 1914 (presumably to avoid being interned as an undesirable alien when war broke out)
- 21st — added "The History of the Borough of Huddersfield" from Yorkshire, Past and Present: A History and a Description of the Three Ridings of the Great County of York - volume 2, part 2 (1875) by Thomas Baines
- 23rd — added more books added to the Yorkshire Public Domain Books Collection: Spen Valley, Past and Present (1893) by Frank Peel, Annual Report of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society (1823-1834), Annual Report of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society (1835-1849), Annual Report of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society (1850-1859), The Civil, Ecclesiastical, Literary, Commercial and Miscellaneous History of the Manufacturing District of Yorkshire: Volume 1 (1834) by Edward Parsons, The Civil, Ecclesiastical, Literary, Commercial and Miscellaneous History of the Manufacturing District of Yorkshire: Volume 2 (1834) by Edward Parsons, Ralph Thoresby, the Topographer; His Town and Times: Volume 1 (1885) by D.H. Atkinson, Ralph Thoresby, the Topographer; His Town and Times: Volume 2 (1887) by D.H. Atkinson, The Geology of the Country around Holmfirth and Glossop (1933), The Geology of the Country around Huddersfield and Halifax (1930), and many more!
- 30th — added the text of History of the Library Movement in Huddersfield (1945)
Older Featured Items from the Home Page
- Added "The History of the Borough of Huddersfield" from Yorkshire, Past and Present (1875).
- Did you know Lockwood was once a fashionable spa resort?
- Picturesque Views of Huddersfield (c.1900), a collection of 20 photographs likely taken in the 1890s, has been made freely available.
- The 1928 centenary booklet St. Paul's, Huddersfield: The Days That Are Past, 1828-1928 is available to read and download.
- An exclusive for this site — the full text of Holy Trinity, Huddersfield: Three Lectures on the History of the Church and Parish, 1819-1904 (1913) by Rev. A.S. Weatherhead, which details the early history of Holy Trinity Church, Greenhead.
- Browse the Huddersfield College Calendar for winter 1939/40.
- The 1852 publication The Flood Came and Took Them All Away: A Sermon on the Holmfirth Flood by the Rev. Joshua Fawcett has been transcribed for the site, which includes contemporary details of the Holmfirth Flood of 1852 along with the subsequent inquest.
- A second publication on the Holmfirth Flood has been transcribed — Sorrow on the Land: An Account of the Inundation Occasioned by the Bursting of the Bilberry Reservoir (1852)