West Riding Union Bank, Market Place, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1890 [#1031]
  • location: Market Place, Huddersfield
  • status: still exists
  • category: commercial building
  • architect: William Cocking (1817-1874)
  • notes: bank, now a branch of "RBS"

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 29 September 1978
  • listing entry number 1313531

MARKET PLACE (South Side). No 27. Mid C19. Ashlar. 3 storeys. Modillioned and dentilled eaves cornice and parapet with panelled piers. Continuous moulded cill band to second floor. Fluted Composite pilastrade to ground floor and full entablature with foliage carving in frieze. Five ranges of sashes. Ground floor windows round-arched with masks on keystones, polished marble columns in jambs, carved foliage spandrels and carved foliage panels below each one. First floor windows are segment-headed, have panelled pilasters, carved spandrels, and alternating triangular and segmental pediments. Second floor windows have moulded consoles to cills, festoons on either side of frame and rounded corners at top. Sunk panels set in between. Porch with panelled double doors, surrounded by carved foliage panels, round-headed side windows with moulded surrounds, moulded cornice and ornate cresting. Attached to the east end of No 27, just under the arch leading to Market Walk, is part of shop-window belonging to Messrs Fillans of No 2 Market Walk. Late C19. Curved glass panels in moulded wooden frames. Painted glass panels above and beside windows, with characteristic late C19 lettering.

Location