Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mint Street, Marsh, Huddersfield
- also known as: Iron Chapel, Mint Street Mission Chapel
- location: Mint Street, Marsh, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
A relatively short-lived mission chapel linked to the larger Gledholt chapel on Blacker Road. The dedication service took place on Sunday 5 December 1886. The building was seemingly also used as a schoolroom, and fields to the north of the chapel were used for Sunday School events. The structure had been demolished or relocated prior to the surveying of the 1905 O.S. map.
According to West Yorkshire Archive Service, the building was an "iron chapel". Constructed out of corrugated galvanised iron, these often temporary structures were nicknamed "tin tabernacles". The building was apparently relocated in the early 1890s to become a temporary Sunday School for the larger Gledholt chapel.
Notes and References
- "Public Notices" in Huddersfield Chronicle (27/Nov/1886).
- For example, see "Whitsuntide Festivities" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (10/Jun/1892).
- West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.