Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, East Street, Lindley
- also known as Lindley Methodist Church
- appears on maps: 1905 [#47], 1905 [#47]
- location on map: off East Street, Lindley
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
The current church was designed by architect George Woodhouse of Bolton and replaced the earlier Lindley Wesley Chapel (built in 1795) which then became the Sunday School. The foundation stone was laid on 5 January 1867 by Mrs. James N. Sykes and work was completed by June 1868 at a cost of around £3,600. The masons were Messrs. Thomas and George Rhodes of Hillhouse, and the external walls were clad in stone from the Elland Edge quarries.
Originally part of the Queen Street Circuit, it was reallocated to the newly formed Gledholt Circuit in 1888.
The chapel was enlarged in 1895-96, including a chancel designed by architect Edgar Wood. The re-opening service took place on 25 March 1896.
The congregations of Lindley Zion and Thorncliffe Street were amalgamated and joined with this church to form Lindley Methodist Church in 1960. They were subsequently joined by the congregation of Kew Hill in the late 1960s.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1134287
EAST STREET (North Side). Lindley. Lindley Methodist Church. 1867. Chancel, vestry and "north-east" transept designed by the Manchester architect Edgar Wood, and built in 1895. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate roof. Hall church, with "west" transept surmounted by low tower with pyramidal slate roof and finial on "south" side. 6-bay nave. Buttresses, with gabled tops at west end. 2 storey "west" end, string at eaves level. 1st floor has windows with Geometrical bar tracery, 4-light to nave, 2-light to tower: oculi above each. Ground floor has central 2-centred door with hoodmould, moulded surround and plate cusps, 2 pointed lancets with Geometrical plate tracery, and 2 blocked doors either side, with segment-shaped Caernarvon lintels and 2-centred moulded relieving arches with hoodmoulds. Aisle windows have transoms and bar tracery. "East" window has late C19 Decorated bar tracery, and reset, the date stone of the original 1795 church, inscribed (in lettering characteristic of each period) "The Wesleyan Church. Anno Domini 1795. Re-erected 1867. Chancel 1895". Edgar Wood had married into the Sykes family of Lindley, whose church this was.