Wesleyan Chapel, Mill Moor Road, Meltham

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1904 [#91]
  • location on map: Mill Moor Road, Meltham
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: church or chapel
  • notes: site now occupied by Meltham Methodist Church

Methodists initially met at local cottages in the Meltham area before forming a society in 1797.

The first chapel was built on Mill Moor Road in 1819 and this was eventually replaced with the chapel indicated on the 1904 map, which was built on adjoining land[1] between 1884 and 1886 at a cost of £4,000. The original chapel was then repurposed as the Sunday School and Assembly Room.

The second chapel was demolished in the mid-1970s and replaced with the current modern building, with the foundation stone building laid in January 1977.[2] The adjoining first chapel is now in commercial usage.

Further Reading

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::kia k003237:::kia k003685:::

Links

Location

Notes and References

  1. Reportedly on the site of the former Kitten beerhouse.
  2. WYAS Off the Record: Meltham Methodist Church

Wesleyan Chapel, Mill Moor Road, Meltham

Categories

Buildings | Churches and places of worship | Demolished buildings | Methodist chapels and churches | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 6 August 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed