Welcome to Huddersfield Exposed!
Welcome to Huddersfield Exposed, a collection of articles and pages about the history of Huddersfield and the surrounding area.
The pages reflect the research interests of those who contribute to the site and are not meant to be an exhaustive history of the Huddersfield area... at least, not yet!
If you'd like to edit and contribute new content to the site, simply request an account.
Search the Entire Site
Latest Images (view more)
We've launched an online shop where you can download high-resolution scans of historic items, such as maps, photographs and books, at reasonable prices. All income will be used to secure more content that can be added to the site.
- Huddersfield Civic and Commercial Directory (1958) is now available read online or purchase as a PDF
- to celebrate the centenary of the Tolson Memorial Museum, we're digitising the museum's "Handbook" series
- several more books added to the site, including Holmfirth Flood: Two Poems (1853), From Village to Town (1882) and Gomersal: Past and Present (1930)
- County Borough of Huddersfield: Jubilee Handbook (1897) is available read online or purchase as a PDF
- Discovering Old Lepton and Kirkheaton (1993) by George & Enid Minter is available to read online or download
- Jones's Mercantile Directory of Halifax, Huddersfield and Dewsbury (1863) is available to search or purchase as a PDF
- to celebrate Woven in Kirklees 2021 and the bicentenary of its author we've scanned The Woollen Thread (1883) by Charles Vickerman
- Manor of Golcar: Copy of the Award Made in the Year 1823 (1919) by Pilkington & Jones can now be read online
- Jefferys' Map of Yorkshire (1771) is available to view online, including the sheet covering the Huddersfield area.
- A copy of the extremely rare Some Account of the Founders of the Huddersfield Subscription Library (1875) by G. W. Tomlinson is available to read online or download.
- The Holmfirth Flood Project has begun!
- A copy of Taylor Dyson's Place Names and Surnames: Their Origin and Meaning (1944) is available to read.
Looking for something to read? Today's most popular books are:
Explore the Site
- Find out more about buildings, places and people
- Look at historic newspaper articles, journal articles and maps
- Browse some local books, genealogical resources, Local Acts or just view a random page!
- Explore the growing map of buildings and locations, or search for a specific location
- If you can't find what you're looking for here, there are lots of other web sites with useful information
Aims of the Site
- The Huddersfield area is rich with history and the intention is for this site to explore some of the more obscure or unusual stories.
- To make available original content under a licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- To make available out-of-copyright research materials, such as newspaper articles, books and Local Acts, and place those versions in the Public Domain.
Want to Contribute or Help Support this Web Site?
If you'd like to edit and contribute new content to the site, you'll need to request an account.
If you've found useful information on this site, please consider showing your support!
The site is administered by Dave Pattern.