Warren House Inn, Blackmoorfoot Road, Crosland Moor
- location: Blackmoorfoot Road, Crosland Moor
- status: uncertain
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
According the Brian Clarke, the original location of the Warren House, where mill-owner William Horsfall was taken after being shot by the Luddites, was on the eastern side of Old Manchester Road between Nab Croft Road and Swan Lane (aka Park Lane), however none of the properties marked on the detailed 1851 O.S. Town Plan appear to be large enough to have once been an inn or to have once had stabling.
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Soon after joining Manchester Road notice, on the left, the Warren House inn with its new sign depicting ambush and murder. It is a well known fact that, in April 1812, William Horsfall, arch-opponent of the Luddites, was murdered by them near to the Warren House Inn and that, mortally wounded, he was taken there to die. However, the attack took place half a mile away from here at Crosland Moor and the inn to which Horsfall was taken stood at the side of the old turnpike there. It was probably soon after 1820, when traffic on the old turnpike would be dwindling, that the original Warren House was replaced by the present inn on its much more profitable site. It may well be that the landlord of 1812 transferred to the new building, along with the licence, but today the only connection the Warren House has with the notorious murder is its name.
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
Remembered in history for its slight connection with the Luddite troubles of the early 19th century, this inn was founded prior to 1781 when Joseph Armitage was the owner and licensee. Situated (according to the 1841 census) on the east side of Blackmoorfoot Road, between Park Road and Nabcroft Lane, the inn was no doubt often busy with long distance travellers for in those days Blackmoorfoot Road was the main Manchester Road, carrying all Lancashire-bound traffic. In 1820 work on the present Manchester Road was commenced and, no doubt anticipating a loss of trade, Mr. Armitage moved his establishment in 1822 to its present position, nearly Whiteley Street in Manchester Road, Milnsbridge. According to some records the original name of the inn was RABBIT WARREN and was also called WARRENERS.