War Memorial, Lane Independent Chapel, Upperthong
Two memorials to those from the Lane Independent Chapel who fought or died during the First World War.
With the closure of the chapel circa 2004, the memorials were moved to St. John's Church, Upperthong.
Inscriptions on Memorial 1
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE FOLLOWING MEN
WHO FELL IN THE
EUROPEAN WAR 1914-1919.
"THEY DIED THAT WE MAY LIVE."
Inscriptions on Memorial 2
This is a larger memorial and consists of three panels.
Panels 1 & 3: "1914-1919"
- Thomas Battye, A.S.C. 1st E. Lancs.
- Thomas H. Brooke, Lab. Bat. Cheshire Rgt.
- Luther Brook, 2/5 D. of Wellingstons Rgt.
- Harry Burton, 3rd City of London Yeomy.
- Frank Beardsell, 1st Grenadier Guards
- Percy Battye, 10th West Yorks.
- F.A. Coldwell, A.S.C. 245th M.T.
- Jonas Coldwell, R.N.V.R.
- Reginald Coldwell, Royal Navy
- Ernest Cartwright, 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles
- Herbert Cartwright, 18th Canadian Regt.
- Morehouse Cartwright, 2/5 D. of Wellingtons Regt.
- Allen Clough, D. of Wellingtons Regt.
- Herbert Fox, Artists Rifles
- George Hinchliffe, R.F.A. Holme Valley Battery
- Harry Hinchliffe, 1st East Yorks.
- Arthur Hobson, 5th D. of Wellingtons Rgt.
- Wilfred Howard, 1/5th D. of Wellingtons Rgt.
- George Johnson, 12th Bat. Lincoln Rgt.
- Thomas Littlewood, 169th Brigade R.F.A.
- Wm. J. McLinkock, M.C.C. de G. West Yorks.
- James F. Marsden, 59th M.G.C.
- Herbert Mettrick, R.F.A. 29th Res. Bat.
- Walter Stacey, 14th North'd Fusiliers
- Herbert Taylor, Royal Navy
- Fred Taylor, M.T. A.S.C.
- Wilfred Turner, West Yorks.
- John W. Watthews M.D. M.C. & Bar R.A.M.C.Att. 15th D.L.I.
- Oswald A. Watthews, 5th Gordon Highlanders
- Joshua Woodhead, Kings Royal Rifles
- Harold Woodhead, Holme Valley Bat. R.F.A.
Panel 2: "In Memoriam / They died that we might live."
- Harry Aspinall, 2nd Kings Royal Rifles
- Freddy Aspinall, 17th Notts. & Derbys
- William B. Coldwell, 15th West Yorks.
- John Hollingworth, 2/5 D. of Wellingtons
- Norman Hinchliffe, 1/6 Kings Liverpool Rifles
- Herbert H. Kaye, Royal Garrison Artillery
- Thomas F. Marsden, 6th Manchesters
- Harold Watthews, 10th D. of Wellingtons
- Joe Woodhead, 11th Lincolns. 2nd Training Bat.
- Norman Woodhead, D. of Wellingtons
- Reginald George Bennett, Kings Own Royal Lancasters