Walter Edwin Cawthra (1897-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CAWTHRA, WALTER EDWIN (TEDDY). Private. No 241295. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born 12 Orchard Terrace, Newsome Road, Huddersfield, 7.9.1897 Son of Edwin and Mary Elizabeth Cawthra, 5 Bell Street, Newsome Road, Huddersfield. Educated at Stile Common Church of England School, Hillhouse Higher Elementary School and Huddersfield Technical College. Employed as a clerk at the Huddersfield Corporation Gasworks, Leeds Road, Huddersfield. Single. Enlisted 7.8.1915. Killed in action at Marfaux, near Rheims, 20.7.1918, aged 20 years. Buried COURMAS BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row D, Grave 10.
- ROH:- St. Stephen's Church, Rashcliffe; Huddersfield Drill Hall; Huddersfield Corporation Roll; Almondbury War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WALTER EDWIN CAWTHRA
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, July 20, 1918
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 611371
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #611371)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #757545)