An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ARMITAGE, WALTER EDWARD. Sergeant. No G/14597. 7th Battalion East Kent Regiment. Born West End, Skelmanthorpe. Son of the late Mr C. S. Armitage and Mrs Roebuck, 19 Frederick Street, Crosland Moor. Attended the National School, Skelmanthorpe and Higher Grade College, Huddersfield. Was in business as a butcher at Crosland Moor. Enlisted 21.9.1916. Killed in action, 26.8.1918, aged 19 years. Buried in DANTZIG ALLEY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 8, Row H, Grave 10.
- ROH:- St. Barnabas Church, Crosland Moor.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant WALTER EDWARD ARMITAGE
- regiment: East Kent Regiment
- died: Monday, August 26, 1918
- age: 29 years
- record ID: 547131