Walter Bailey (c.1879-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BAILEY, WALTER. Private. No 241879. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Golcar. Son of Mary Bailey, 16 Brook Terrace, Slaithwaite and the late John William Bailey. Employed as a weaver at Crimble Mills, Slaithwaite. Was a well known cricket and football player. Enlisted 24.5.1916. Embarked for France January, 1917. Reported missing, presumed killed, at the Battle of Bullecourt, 3.5.1917, aged 37 years. His body was found lying out on the battlefield sixteen weeks later, on the 24.8.1917. Commemorated on the ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. John's Church, Golcar; St. James' Church, Slaithwaite; Slaithwaite War Memorial; Huddersfield Drill Hall.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WALTER BAILEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 3, 1917
- age: 37 years
- record ID: 739332
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #739332)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #131231)