Wakefield and Denby Dale Turnpike Road
The Wakefield & Denby Dale Turnpike was authorised by an Act passed in 1825.
The route was surveyed in the 1820s by Thomas Dinsley of Huddersfield and construction appears to have been completed by 1830.
The turnpike road is now the A636.
From Denby Dale, the principal features marked on the first O.S. map are:
- milestone — Manchester / Wakefield 10
- High Bridge Toll Point
- milestone — Manchester 33 / Wakefield 8
- milestone — Manchester 34 / Wakefield 7
- milestone — Manchester 35 / Wakefield 6
- Bretton Toll Point — junction with the Barnsley & Grange Moor Trust Turnpike
- milestone — Manchester / Wakefield 3
- milestone — Wakefield 2
- Calder Bridge Toll Point
- milestone — Wakefield 1
- Ings Toll Point — junction with the Wakefield Ings Trust Turnpike