Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike Road

The route from Oldham to the boundary at Austerlands was turnpiked after the granting of an Act in 1735. It was then joined by the Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike, which passed through Huddersfield, circa 1759.

The bulk of the first turnpike from Huddersfield to Austerlands followed the route of existing tracks and roads, with the Act empowering the Turnpike Trust to lay down a more hard-wearing surface and to widen the route were necessarily. Civil engineer John Metcalf (1717-1810) — better known as Blind Jack of Knaresborough or Blind Jack Metcalf — undertook the construction of the road, including the laying of a stable surface across half a mile of bogland to the west of Thieves Bridge.

A subsequent Act was granted in 1777 which saw improvements to the route:

  • a new road from Oldham to Austerlands, replacing the earlier Greenacres Road
  • a new road from Austerlands to the east of Delph (now the A62 Huddersfield/Oldham Road), replacing the earlier route along Thorpe Lane to Delph Lane
  • a new road from Standedge Foot which ran to the south of Redbrook Reservoir and avoided passing through the centre of Marsden by approaching along Mount Road, replacing the former route which took a more northerly route across Thieves Bridge and descended into Marsden along what is now Old Mount Road

This latter section was constructed first, again by John Metcalf, with the other sections completed circa 1815, by which time the Turnpike Trust had begun drawing up plans for further changes.

A third Act granted in 1820 saw the building of the current route, with the following major changes:

  • a new road between near Bleak Hey Nook and Marsden, which initially took a more southerly route before swinging north to take a more level route around the northern side of Pule Hill
  • a new road between Marsden and Huddersfield (now the A62 Manchester Road), replacing the earlier route that climbed from Marsden to Holt Head (along Chain Road) and then approached Huddersfield via Blackmoorfoot, Longroyd Bridge and Outcote Bank

Toll Points

The toll points that lay within the Parishes of Almondbury, Huddersfield and Kirkheaton from west to east are recorded on the 1854 O.S. map as follows.

Austonley towards Huddersfield
Huddersfield towards Wakefield

Milestones

The toll points that lay within the Parishes of Almondbury, Huddersfield and Kirkheaton from west to east are recorded on the 1854 O.S. map as follows.

Austonley towards Huddersfield
  • Huddersfield 9 / Manchester 15 — at Gilberts Toll Point, Rebrook, Marsden
  • Huddersfield 8 / Manchester 16 — near Owlers, northwest side of Pule Hill, Marsden
  • Huddersfield 7 / Manchester 17 — at Clough Head, Marsden — this appears to have been replaced by 1906 with a mile post erected by Brayshaw & Booth of Liversedge which reads "HUDDERSFIELD 7 MILES. OLDHAM 10½ MILES." and is situated nearer to Huddersfield
  • Huddersfield 6 / Manchester 18 — near to Stubbing, Marsden and removed by 1906
  • Huddersfield 5 / Manchester 19 — near to Blue Bell, Lingards and removed by 1906
  • Huddersfield 4 / Manchester 20 — Linthwaite
  • Huddersfield 3 / Manchester 21 — above Low Westwood Bridge, Linthwaite
Huddersfield towards Wakefield
  • Huddersfield 1 / Wakefield 12 — just beyond Almondbury Road junction, Dalton, later moved further away from Huddersfield
  • Huddersfield 2 / Wakefield 11 — Greenside, Dalton, later moved nearer to the Waterloo junction
  • Huddersfield 3 / Wakefield 10 — Cowmes, Lepton
  • Huddersfield 4 / Wakefield 9 — near Lepton Cross, Lepton
  • Huddersfield 5 / Wakefield 8 — near Lepton Edge, Lepton
  • Huddersfield 6 / Wakefield 7 — near the Kayes Arms Inn, Whitley Upper
  • Huddersfield 7 / Wakefield 6 — near Overton, Whitley Upper

Route

Huddersfield to Austerlands

The western section between Austerlands and Huddersfield is shown below, based on the map and description contained in Huddersfield Highways Down the Ages (1949):

  • First Turnpike (1759) — orange
  • Second Turnpike (1777) — blue
  • Third Turnpike (1820) — red
[ open in new window ]

Huddersfield to Wakefield

The eastern section between Huddersfield and Wakefield is shown below, based roughly on the 1854 O.S. maps of the route:

[ open in new window ]

See Also...

Further Reading

Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike Road

Categories

Streets and roads | Turnpike roads
This page was last modified on 8 May 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed