Griffin Inn, Thornton Road, Crosland Moor Bottom

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Waggon & Horses Inn (pre 1841), Railway Inn (1851 map)
  • location: junction of Thornton Road (now Blackmoorfoot Road) & Manchester Road, Crosland Moor Bottom
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

At the Brewster Sessions of 1843, the licence of William Cotton of the Waggon & Horses was temporarily suspended for "misconduct during the last twelve months".

Although marked as the Railway Inn on the 1851 town plan map, it had been renamed the Griffin by 1854 when it was advertised for sale at auction:[1]

MANCHESTER-ROAD, HUDDERSFIELD.

TO PUBLICANS, BEER RETAILERS, BROKERS, AND OTHERS.

TO be SOLD by AUCTION, by Messrs. BRADLEY and SYKES, on Thursday next, February 16th, 1854, on. the premises known by the name of the Griffin, situate on the Manchester Road, Huddersfield, and formerly occupied as a beerhouse, the proprietor having declined the business, the following EFFECTS, all nearly new, and in very good condition, namely — one Press Bed, one French Bedstead, two flock Beds, feather and flock Pillows, Blankets, Sheets, and Coverlets, twelve elm Chairs, with hair seating, six birch Chairs, twelve Windsor Chairs, Rocking Chair, with hair seating, &c., two Ale-tables, with extra leaf and drawer; one Table, nine feet long; good kitchen Table, with sycamore top and three drawers; six Windsor Chairs (no arms), four mahogany Chairs, six bedroom Chairs, one new kitchen Table, square Stand, Oil Painting and sundry Pictures, Chimney Ornaments, two Washstands and Dressing Tables, Dressing Glass, three good Forms, 12 feet long; four, 6 feet long; one, 4 feet long; 6 feet Window Cornice, good Long Settle, 5 yards within; one pair Passage Doors, glazed with coloured glass; the Bar, with Shelves, Counter, Drawers, and Door, one sliding Window, 4ft. 6in. by 6ft. 6in., with facings, &c. complete; two Ala Gantries, three brass Taps, large iron Fender, with nine pillars, and set of strong Fire Irons, cast Fender, three bedroom Fenders, Drip-tin and iron Stand, 12 iron Spittoons, four Ale Cans, metal Ale Measures, pint, quart, half-gallon, and gallon Pitchers, sundry pint Mugs, tumbler and tot Glasses, a quantity of earthenware, 24 doz. sundry Bottles; also, two good Washing Machines, and a variety of other useful articles not particularised.

Extracts

The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

Originally named WAGGON & HORSES this inn can be traced back to 1828 when William Bottomley was licensee, followed in 1833 by Richard Brook. The change to the present title came in 1841 when William Cotton held the licence. Taken over by William Stones Ltd. of Sheffield in 1896, this house still exists under Bass control.

Location

Links

Notes and References

  1. "Sales by Auction" in Huddersfield Chronicle (11/Feb/1854).

Griffin Inn, Thornton Road, Crosland Moor Bottom

Categories

Buildings | Public houses, beerhouses, inns, etc. | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 29 May 2019 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed