The Wadsley & Langsett Turnpike was a 8-mile toll road that commenced at Honley Toll House and passed through Smithy Place, New Mill, Jackson Bridge to the Flouch Inn in Langsett. Here it joined the Doncaster and Salter's Brook Turnpike road (running east & west) and continued southwards as the Wadsley, Langsett & Sheffield Turnpike road.
Although named as the Wadsley & Langsett Trust on the 1854 O.S. map, the stretch between Honley and the Flough Inn was also sometimes referred to as the New Mill District Trust branch turnpike.
The branches of the turnpike were
In 1840, the Parliamentary Commissioners for Inquiring into the State of the Roads in England and Wales reported the following details of the "New Mill District of Wadsley and Langset":
Plans to erect a toll house at Mucky Bridge at Jackson Bridge were announced in 1858.
In November 1872, the Huddersfield Chronicle reported that due to the abolition of the toll bars, the toll gates at Mearhouse and Gatehead were pulled down on 1 November.
It is believed that the New Mill District Trust was wound up on 1 November 1877.
Going southwards from Honley, the main features of the turnpike that were marked on the 1854 O.S. map are:
The route southwards from Honley is shown below, along with the branches to Holmfirth and Dunford Bridge.