Victoria Temperance Hall, Buxton Road, Huddersfield
- appears on maps: 1890 [#330]
- location: Buxton Road, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: meeting hall
The Victoria Temperance Hall was purpose-built for the Huddersfield Temperance Society at a cost of about £10,000 and opened on 1 March 1880. The building was designed by architects Thomas Henry Healey and Francis Healey.
In August 1897, a resolution was passed at the quarterly of the Huddersfield Industrial Society and they purchased the hall and adjoining shops for £13,000, with a proviso that the Industrial Society "could not enter into possession of the property until two years had expired". This allowed the Temperance Society to begin building a new hall between Princess Street and Page Street whilst still making use of the Buxton Road hall.
Notes and References
- "New Temperance Hall" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (27/Aug/1900).
- The Buildings of Huddersfield Project (plan #643).
- The Huddersfield Industrial Society Limited: Fifty Years of Progress, 1860-1910 (1910) by Owen Balmforth, page 155.