Victoria Temperance Hall, Buxton Road, Huddersfield
- location: Buxton Road, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: meeting hall
The Victoria Temperance Hall was purpose-built for the Huddersfield Temperance Society at a cost of about £10,000 and opened on 1 March 1879, replacing the earlier Cambridge Temperance Hall on Upperhead Row. The building was designed by architects Thomas Henry Healey and Francis Healey, and incorporated the private residence Nether Croft which stood on the site.
In August 1897, a resolution was passed at the quarterly of the Huddersfield Industrial Society and they purchased the hall and adjoining shops for £13,000, with a proviso that the Industrial Society "could not enter into possession of the property until two years had expired". This allowed the Temperance Society to begin building a new hall between Princess Street and Page Street whilst still making use of the Buxton Road hall.
Notes and References
- "Public Notices" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (01/Mar/1879).
- The Buildings of Huddersfield Project (plan #643).
- The Huddersfield Industrial Society Limited: Fifty Years of Progress, 1860-1910 (1910) by Owen Balmforth, page 155.