Victoria Tavern, West Gate, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Swan With Two Necks
  • appears on maps: 1851 [#400]
  • location on map: West Gate, Huddersfield
  • status: still exists
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
  • notes: with yard behind

In 1851, the Swan With Two Necks (now the "Royal Swan") was situated next door to the Victoria Tavern in a smaller property. By 1890, the Swan had taken over the Victoria and vacated the smaller property, which had become the Paragon Inn. The move took place prior to August 1868, when Adam Oddy applied for, and was granted, a new beer licence for the Paragon, despite an objection placed "on behalf of the Swan with Two Necks, which immediately adjoins the Paragon."[1]

Location

  1. Huddersfield Chronicle (22/Aug/1868).

Victoria Tavern, West Gate, Huddersfield

Categories

Buildings | Public houses, beerhouses, inns, etc. | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed