Vicarage, Huddersfield Road, Kirkburton

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: off Huddersfield Road, Kirkburton
  • status: still exists
  • category: vicarage

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

On the left hand side of Huddersfield Road, opposite the church (and before the car park), is the site of the vicarage which was the home, at the time of the Civil War, of the Rev. Gamaliel Whitaker and his wife, Hester. An interesting entry in the parish register of January, 1643/4, records the death of "Hester Whitaker wife of Gamalel Whitaker viccar of Kirkburton who was slaine the XIIth day art night January instant and buried the XVth day." The Rev. Whitaker, who had been at Kirkburton since 1615, was a great champion of the Royalist cause and his words and deeds were regarded with suspicion by his parishioners who, for the most part, supported Parliament. When, on that January night, a party of Parliamentary soldiers came to arrest Mr. Whitaker tradition has it that Mrs. Whitaker was shot on the staircase of the vicarage by one of the soldiers. It is not now known whether the shot was fired accidentally or in response to some resistance put up by the vicar and his friends. Mr Whitaker was duly arrested and taken to prison in Manchester where he died, it is said, of grief and ill-usage just over two weeks later on the 1st February.

Location